FORUM

Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Crossbones Fast Schooner Build

Oh well the bug has bitten yet again. So along with Mal (Nemo), I to am embarking on another one of Bearospace’s plywood boats, this time Gary’s recent design the Fast Schooner “Annie”. This will make my third project, I have already completed the sloop Emma and the schooner Irene, which I have posted comments and photos in past discussion forums.
I am hoping to post a more detailed / comprehensive set of photos and descriptions for this build as it will probably be my last unless Gary comes up with a totally new design for me to consider.

So after printing off Gary’s scaled plans, I went about selecting a 2400mm x 1200mm sheet of plywood and stuck the cut out drawings onto the plywood using industrial double sided tape.
I was then able to cut out all of the individual components using a bandsaw. If there were 2 of any I simply clamped them together and sanded all edges to ensure they were identical in shape and size. After transferring the appropriate bulk head positions, water line markings and deck block positions, I was then able to remove the paper drawings and sand everything ready for a coat of epoxy sealer.

So stay tuned for another gripping stage of this project.

Uploaded files:
  • A1D3C243-CC3F-43C6-A84D-164D3A48A138.jpeg
  • 855C558E-EFF8-4D70-B260-175BEA145867.jpeg
  • 3E18F9C4-6AFC-428F-A563-7EF7D7CE713A.jpeg

Good one Greg, glad you are doing it.  Keep up with postings on it's progress.

 

Cannot resist the temptation so, here goes.. (from yesterday)

 

We wanted wind yesty, right?  But NOT like today's. Currently 41C   42/72 kph  24/39 knots.

Then again...  😆

 

 

Keep the posts coming CB. Great to see these builds. The rest of the crew are going to have to find somewhere else to sail if you two keep this up.

So the next stage is to cut out all of the bulkheads ready for assembly. I have now constructed the keel box which involves an epoxy finish to the inside for waterproofing. Once this has been done I then went ahead and fixed bulkheads 2 & 3 to either ends of the completed keel box.
Allowing this to completely dry, my next post should show a successful hull build using both what has just been constructed along with the additional bulkheads 1 thru 5. Fingers crossed I will be back with photos. 

Uploaded files:
  • E0C1AC40-B56D-4DEA-9456-86A5DCBF71BB.jpeg
  • FC8A984B-DDE6-4713-A3A8-FBAEA762A73D.jpeg
  • 32A78E6C-FB49-4930-AFC6-7813B4415881.jpeg
  • 17742E07-9D6C-4268-AF6F-0054E8C4FD13.jpeg
  • A998CEF4-20A8-4110-AD4A-8E7F5762FA3B.jpeg
  • 57FB64B4-7B6E-4241-9DCB-8FE7D96F3913.jpeg

So on to the next stage - assembling the hull.
After cutting out all of the components, 4 hull sections, bulkheads and building the keel box, it’s time to put the jigsaw puzzle together. My basic technique was passed onto to me from the wise and more experienced NEMO and that is to tack all the parts together using super glue and then once having everything in the right positions go back and epoxy all of the joins giving an extremely rigid construction. After allowing 24 hours for the glue to properly set I fitted the bow and stern posts, sizes as per Gary’s drawings and also fitted a 6mm x 6mm gunwale to the top edge of the hull.

Once all this epoxy gluing was well and truely dry I then applied 2 coats of 2 part penetrating epoxy to ensure the plywood is completely waterproof. 

Uploaded files:
  • 961B6E9E-5B3F-4957-925C-211DC3F214CC.jpeg
  • BEC76104-9F42-4FBC-B54F-18B2CAA71E9C.jpeg
  • 272A8EFA-3C1D-46E4-9576-FE9972338A4B.jpeg
  • BC9A59B9-BA78-4617-A0C6-06FAE3A08151.jpeg
  • 39309971-0A1B-48E0-B242-36909E3CF62E.jpeg
  • D6260F7E-8CA2-426E-87DD-0044B0520FD1.jpeg

At this rate you'll soon overtake Diana    :mrgreen: